Update on Government Travel Restrictions from the American Society of Association Executives
Thanks to those of you who have already signed on to ASAE’s open letter to Congress. The letter urges Congress to revise legislative language attached to separate bills in both chambers that severely restricts government employees from attending meetings and conferences held by associations, nonprofits and other private sector organizations. (Read the amendment language here)
The response has been outstanding. More than 800 organizations have signed on to ASAE’s letter to date.
If you have not done so already, please take action and add your voice to the hundreds of associations, nonprofits and for-profit corporations who want to preserve the valuable interchange between government and the private sector at meetings and conferences.
If not revised, the provisions passed separately by the House and Senate last week could greatly impact attendance at many meetings and conferences and further erode the important dialogue between federal agencies and the private sector.
You can help ASAE’s efforts on this issue in three ways:
- Take a look at ASAE’s open letter with signatures received as of 8AM this morning. If you have already signed on in support, review your organization’s name and send any changes to Robert Hay at email@example.com. If you have not already signed, use the web form or complete this document to add your voice to this effort.
- Share this email with your colleagues, members, business partners or other contacts. These provisions would impact all organizations that hold meetings and conferences and invite government employees, either as speakers or just attendees. There are no types of conferences exempted from these proposed restrictions.
- During this week’s recess, contact your members of Congress in the district and share with them your concern on this issue. Here is a one-pager that outlines the concerns with these provisions.
Thank you again for your strong support on this issue. If you have any questions about these provisions or ASAE’s related advocacy efforts, please contact them at 202-626-2703 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Research Program – Be an Advocate October 18, 2017
- Doctor shortage forces Colorado VA hospital to postpone surgeries October 13, 2017
- Cleveland Clinic physician: To lead in a volatile, uncertain world, take a lesson from the military August 21, 2017
- AUA Now Accepting 2018 Gallagher Health Policy Scholar Applications August 17, 2017
- VA Chief Wants to Get Rid of Healthcare Deadwood May 11, 2017
- Trump extends private-sector health care program for vets April 20, 2017
- Outlook Newsletter – March 2017 April 13, 2017
- Congrats to Kimbrough 2017 Award Winners March 18, 2017
- Kimbrough Meeting “take aways” – 2017 San Diego March 13, 2017
- Trump Names VA Secretary February 2, 2017