The Federal Government annually invests millions of dollars for prostate cancer research through the Prostate Cancer Research Program (PCRP) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
click link for full article on Zero website
The PCRP, part of the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) at the Department of Defense, is one of the most effective programs in the world designed to produce treatments and, one day, a cure for prostate cancer. Funding from the PCRP has supported the development of three new treatments for advanced disease in the last five years and was instrumental in accelerating the approval of Zytiga® (abiraterone acetate) by two years. The program is now focused on improving diagnosis to reduce overtreatment and accurately determine life-threating disease from indolent tumors.
ZERO is working to maintain $13.2 million in funding for prostate cancer awareness and education. The President’s FY2017 budget request eliminates funding within the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) comprehensive cancer control program for prostate cancer activities. This funding supports the development and dissemination of content to help patients and providers have a better-informed discussion about treatment options. It also provides needed funding for important surveillance activities that help providers, epidemiologists, and researchers better understand the disease, its incidence, and progression.
We urge Congress to protect prostate cancer prevention and education funding and provide $13.2 million for the CDC in the FY 2017.
(receive alerts on how to help protect and grow this funding)
- USAV – President’s Report 2018 June 19, 2018
- VA Rep to SGSU 2018 Report June 19, 2018
- John Barry’s Meeting “take aways” – 2018 Scottsdale April 13, 2018
- Senate bill aimed at modernizing VA health system includes telehealth licensing provision December 5, 2017
- A VA surgeon barred from operating on patients since 2013 still collects an annual salary—and he’s not alone November 27, 2017
- Urological Society for American Veterans – President’s Report 2017 November 24, 2017
- House considers major changes to VA health care October 26, 2017
- Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Research Program – Be an Advocate October 18, 2017
- Doctor shortage forces Colorado VA hospital to postpone surgeries October 13, 2017
- Cleveland Clinic physician: To lead in a volatile, uncertain world, take a lesson from the military August 21, 2017